Name:
Location: Bainbridge Island, Washington, United States

I love writing and reading. I am secretary of our church, treasurer for my youngest sons cub scout pack. I love being involved in my childrens activities.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

What a day it's going to be!

Ever wake up and just know - I mean really JUST KNOW that you should forget about any perfect plans you had for the day (like finishing a quilt for my mom and dad)?

Mine started in the dark, early hours this morning - somewhere around 3:00 am if my memory serves. My CPAP machine woke me up with a burning in my nose. I took it off and tried to go back to sleep, but of course, when you know you have to get up in a few hours - and plus I don't sleep well anyway (hence the CPAP - which I will explain in another post) it's really hard to get back to soft, fuzzy dreams.
I did manage to doze until it was time to get lunches and breakfast organized, and then Jethro came to tell Eric and I the bombshell for the day.

"The basements flooded."
"What do mean?"
"It's flooded, there's water all over the floor." (Imagine the typical "duh" 15 year old tone here.)
"Eric, the basements flooded."
"I know, I just heard him." Goes down to basement, and returns to tell me that there is 5 inches of water and everything down there is a throwaway. During the first ten or so years of our marriage, I would have broken out in a cold sweat and started hyperventilating. Now, I immediately used my "been-married-to-this-exaggerator-man-long-enough-to-know-by-now-that-he-means-it-is-bad-but-not-end-of-the-world-bad deducer. I figured the 5 inches was probably 2, and the "everything down there is a throwaway" was some electrical equipment on the floor (unplugged!) and that some of his "man of the house" tools had gotten wet.
I went down. Okay, so there was some water that was maybe close to 5 inches in one of the corners. But the most of it was about 1 to 2 inches. Lots and lots and lots of wet laundry which now has to be washed and washed and washed.
We have a sump pump going right now and it should be clear pretty soon. Three of my kids left their laundry baskets on the floor, so now all their clean and folded clothes are wet. AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!
(This is our laundry system - I like it a lot. The washer and dryer are in the basement. We have a long couch nearby. It is really big. Then we have 6 laundry baskets. Each child has their own basket and it goes on the couch in order of age, oldest to youngest. As I do laundry (I mostly prefer to do it myself, although the kids do help when I ask), anything that only requires folding is folded and put into their basket. When the basket is full, they are supposed to take it to their bedroom and unpack it into their closets and drawers. I usually have to remind them. We also have another basket which holds socks. As they are washed they are just added to the basket, and whoever feels so inclined (usually Timothy, or I) will roll and fold the socks. Another basket is to carry things upstairs - like towels, table linens etc. Usually I just take mine and Eric's things up to our room as they are done. )
So, as I said, three of them left theirs on the floor. So now there will be extra laundry to hurry through.
And here I sit, writing a post..................? Okay.......back to work.
More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home